10 July 2015
A sketchy summary, just to remind me that it ain’t as complicated as it seems.
- Pressure cook Dal mix + Veggies mix + masala; mash it all up
- Saute in ghee whole garam masala, onions until brown; add wet masala mix; bhuno, add tomatoes etc mixture; bhuno
- Add cooked mashed dal + veggies and simmer together
- Add tamarind and jaggery and simmer
Simple! and you see why it’s like sambhar in ingredients but not sequence?
And now for some details, where the devil dwells:
- Dal mix – tur, chana, masur, mung, urad all equal quantity, but just a bit more of the tur. (I pre-soaked the dals, though the recipe didn’t say so)
- Veggies mix: pumpkin about 50 g; 2/3 brinjals (though I think I should have used one large bhartaa variety); spring onions; methi leaves about 1/4 bunch
- Cook all together in pressure cooker, for about 5 min after steam builds up.
- After opening cooker, mash up the whole mix. (I used a potato masher/ricer)
- Ghee with chopped onions, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise (I only added half a star anise–figured there was enough of the other stuff in the dhansak masala).
- Make paste of ginger-garlic paste, dhansak masala*, coriander, cumin, chili, turmeric powder
- Finely chopped tomatoes, coriander, mint, curry leaves, methi leaves
*I made it, way too much of it.